Polish poppy seed roll ingredients:
Poppy Seed Filling
- 500g of dried poppy seeds (boiled for 15 minutes, drained, and grounded in food processor)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 50g of sugar
- 120g of honey
- 80g of chopped walnuts
- 50g of chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum
- 100g raisins (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and chopped)
- 50g of apricots (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- Zest from one orange
Sweet Yeast Bread
- 300g of flour
- 120ml of milk
- 100g of butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 21g of instant yeast (one packet)
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Link to video with instructions here.
Regionalna potrawa z Wielkopolski
1 cup Poppy seeds or canned poppy seeds
¼ cup Chopped walnuts
¼ cup Raisins
¼ cup Chopped dried prunes
¼ cup Chopped dried apricots
¼ cup Honey
Optional: ¼ cup caramelized orange peel
1) Wet the poppy seeds all night long, squeeze the water out and grind twice.
2) Mix all ingredients gently together. Decorate with dried fruits and sliced oranges.
- 1 cup wheat berries (may also use farro)
- 4 cups of milk (or water, but milk tastes better)
- 3/4 cups canned poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 5-6 dates, figs or whatever you like
- 3-4 Ts half and half (or sweet cream)
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Rinse wheat berries in cold water until water runs clear, then transfer to a bowl and soak overnight in milk or lukewarm water, adding enough liquid to cover 2-inches above the wheat.
The following day, drain wheat berries, place them in a medium-sized heavy pot, cover with remaining 2 cups of milk and bring everything to a boil over high heat.
When milk starts to boil, reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer until wheat berries are very tender, 3 1/2 – 4 hours, depending on the quality of the wheat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add more milk if needed to keep the wheat berries fully submerged. Drain and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Spread almonds and nuts on a baking sheet and toast them for 5 minutes.
Soak raisins in hot water about 30 minutes. Chop dates and figs.
In a large bowl, combine cooled, cooked wheat, ground poppy seeds, honey, vanilla, raisins and walnuts, almonds, figs, orange peels and dates. Add 3-4 tablespoons of sweet cream. Stir well.
Cover and chill in refrigerator for several hours before serving.